Aug 23 , 2021 Nashville, Tenn.
Bridgestone Issues Voluntary Recall to Recover Eight Affected Passenger Tires
- Bridgestone has issued a voluntary recall to recover eight passenger tires that may have sustained a small pinhole in the outward-facing sidewall during manufacturing.
- The affected tires were manufactured at the company’s passenger tire plant in Aiken, South Carolina between July 11, 2021 and July 17, 2021.
- All known customers, distributors and dealers will receive notification of the recall with instructions from Bridgestone allowing them to determine if they have one of the eight (8) affected tires with the pinhole condition.
Bridgestone Americas and Bridgestone Canada (Bridgestone) are collectively issuing a voluntary recall to recover eight (8) passenger tires that may have sustained a small pinhole in the outward-facing sidewall during manufacturing. The impacted tires were manufactured at the company’s passenger tire plant in Aiken, South Carolina between July 11, 2021 and July 17, 2021 and include the following tire products/brands:
- Firestone Destination LE3 tires in size 225/65R17 with DOT Tire Identification Number (TIN) Code 17X 2Y LE32 2821;
- Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia tires in size P245/60R18 with DOT TIN Code 7X VD 423 2821;
- Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires in size 275/55R20 with DOT TIN Code 7X Y1 DH7 2821;
- Bridgestone Turanza EL440 tires in size 235/60R18 with DOT TIN Code 7X 45 JB2 2821; and
- Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires in size 235/55R20 with DOT TIN Code 7X 8A EC1 2821.
There are no known accidents or injuries involving tires subject to this recall. However, tires included in this recall may not comply with U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) and/or Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) performance requirements.
The pinhole in affected tires is visible in the tire’s outward-facing sidewall near the first digit of the TIN Date Code. Should the pinhole penetrate the tire’s inner liner, a slow air loss may occur. If left unaddressed, this slow leak could affect tire performance and, depending upon the particular vehicle and other circumstances, increase the risk of a crash.
Bridgestone has determined only eight (8) affected tires remain in the market. However, the Company has extended the scope of this voluntary recall to include 21,513 tires manufactured on impacted equipment at the company’s Aiken passenger tire plant within the compromised DOT Date Code week. Bridgestone is casting a wide net to find the eight affected tires that remain in the market. This approach is consistent with Bridgestone’s longstanding commitment to quality, safety and customer satisfaction.
Tires included in this recall were sold to Bridgestone’s company-owned retail stores in the U.S., as well as to original equipment manufacturers, tire retailers, dealers and distributors in the U.S. and Canada. Bridgestone has notified regulatory agencies in the U.S. and Canada in accordance with applicable laws.
All known customers, distributors and dealers will receive notification of the recall. Owners may take their vehicle to a Bridgestone company-owned retail store or a Bridgestone/Firestone authorized retail location for inspection to determine whether a pinhole is present in the outward-facing sidewall near the first digit of the TIN Date Code. Bridgestone will replace affected tires with a comparable Bridgestone or Firestone brand tire or other suitable replacement at no charge to customers.
About Bridgestone Americas, Inc.:
Nashville, Tennessee-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is a subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, a global leader providing sustainable mobility and advanced solutions. Bridgestone Americas develops, manufactures and markets a diverse portfolio of original equipment and replacement tires, tire-centric solutions, mobility solutions, and other rubber-associated and diversified products that deliver social value and customer value. Guided by its global corporate social responsibility commitment, Our Way to Serve, Bridgestone is dedicated to shaping a sustainable future of mobility and improving the way people move, live, work and play.
About Bridgestone Canada, Inc.:
Bridgestone Canada Inc. (BSCA) is a member of Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (BATO) and a direct subsidiary of Bridgestone Americas, Inc. (BSAM), whose parent company, Bridgestone Corporation, is a global leader providing sustainable mobility and advanced solutions. BSCA and BATO develop, manufacture and market Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires. They are focused on retail, wholesale and original equipment markets, supplying passenger, light truck, commercial vehicle, off road, agricultural and other tires to their customers in Canada and the United States, respectively.