Jun 1 , 2021 Nashville, Tenn.
Bridgestone Launches Ultra-Efficient Long-Haul Steer Tire
- The Bridgestone R213 Ecopia steer tire provides premium performance and reduced operating costs for long-haul and regional service applications.
- Standout features include double-digit improvements in wear performance and the highest fuel efficiency ever for a Bridgestone long-haul steer tire.
- The EPA SmartWay® verified Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire will be offered in four sizes at authorized Bridgestone dealers in the U.S. and Canada.
Bridgestone Americas (Bridgestone) today announced it is expanding the company’s fuel-efficient Ecopia commercial truck tire line with the introduction of the all-new Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire. The new tire is engineered to reduce operating costs by delivering ultra-high fuel efficiency, the highest ever offered on a Bridgestone long-haul steer tire1, in combination with significant improvements in wear performance.
“Today’s fleets are running their trucks longer and farther, making it critical to get maximum performance out of every tire purchase,” said Kyle Chen, brand manager, truck and bus radial tires, U.S. and Canada, Bridgestone Americas. “The new Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire harnesses major innovations in both materials and design to deliver smarter, more sustainable tire performance. This translates to a better bottom line through the tire’s exceptional wear life and outstanding fuel efficiency.”
The Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire delivers one of the industry’s strongest combinations of wear and fuel performance, providing more miles and a lower total cost of ownership2. Featuring directional edge sipes to resist scrub and offer up to 15% longer mileage3, the Bridgestone R213 Ecopia outperforms the previous-generation Bridgestone R284 Ecopia tire. Additionally, a redesigned tread pattern paired with an innovative compound reduces tire weight, improving rolling resistance and fuel efficiency by 6%4.
Key engineering improvements and innovations in the Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire include:
- A four-rib tire design with patented NanoPro-Tech™ polymer to limit energy loss and enhance stiffness for optimum fuel efficiency.
- An Intellishape™ sidewall design containing less bead filler volume to reduce tire weight without compromising durability.
- Center rib sipes to evacuate water and improve traction on wet surfaces more effectively.
- Directional stress relief sipes5 to absorb shoulder edge forces in the footprint for even longer wear.
- A redesigned defense side groove to better resist irregular wear, helping improve fuel efficiency and durability over the long haul.
The Bridgestone R213 Ecopia tire, which is EPA SmartWay® verified, will be offered in eight variations – with four sizes and two load ranges per size – at Bridgestone authorized dealers in the U.S. and Canada.
Customers looking to multiply the fuel efficiency benefits of Bridgestone Ecopia tires can utilize fuel-efficient Bandag retreads. Designed to complement Bridgestone Ecopia tire casings, Bandag FuelTech retreads extend the service life of a tire and provide a reliable and sustainable business solution that can drive down fuel costs and maximize the useful life of Ecopia tire casings.
1 Comparison based on R213 Ecopia vs. R284 Ecopia from internal testing. Results may vary.
2 Based on TLCC @ 120,000 miles/year, $3.00 per gallon, 80,000 pound loaded tandem axle tractor and trailer.
3 Comparison based on R213 Ecopia vs. R284 Ecopia from internal testing. Results may vary.
4 Comparison based on R213 Ecopia vs. R284 Ecopia from internal testing. Results may vary.
5 Directional tires for first half of life.
About Bridgestone Americas, Inc.:
Nashville, Tennessee-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is a subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, a global leader providing sustainable mobility and advanced solutions. Bridgestone Americas develops, manufactures, and markets a diverse portfolio of original equipment and replacement tires, tire-centric solutions, mobility solutions, and other rubber-associated and diversified products that deliver social value and customer value. Guided by its global corporate social responsibility commitment, Our Way to Serve, Bridgestone is dedicated to shaping a sustainable future of mobility and improving the way people move, live, work and play.