Sep 25, 2018 MEXICO CITY
Bridgestone Strengthens its Commitment and Contribution to Sustainable Development
Sustainability is part of our corporate DNA.
Alfonso Zendejas, President of Bridgestone Latin America North
Bridgestone, the world leader in tire manufacture and other diversified products, works constantly on its commitment to Social Responsibility, Our Way to Serve, which is a reflection of the company’s mission to serve society with superior quality, as stated in its most recent sustainability report published in the Latin American North region, comprised of Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.
The new sustainability report was conducted in accordance with the GRI Standards, core option of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), covering the period from January 1 to December 31, 2017, and which highlights the contribution of the company in compliance to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as the management of material issues identified as priorities by the company and its stakeholders.
“Sustainability is part of our corporate DNA. It is strongly tied to our mission, vision, and values. That is why, by focusing our strategies towards the construction of a sustainable model, we demonstrate the commitment of the company in the way we do business, develop products and interact with communities and customers,” said Alfonso Zendejas, President of Bridgestone Latin America North.
In its recent publication, Bridgestone covers the efforts and progress made in the Priority Areas: Mobility, People and Environment, in addition to the improvements of the six Management Fundamentals in each of the countries in the region, thus allowing the stakeholders to learn and compare the performance of the company.
Among the 2017 relevant results are:
- 5.6% decrease in water consumption at its manufacturing facility in Cuernavaca
- 18% decrease in CO2 emissions of fuel consumption at Bandag tire-retread facility in Leon
- New record of 128 tons of scrap tires collected through the Llantatón program
- 1,496 hours volunteered and 1,822 direct beneficiaries, with the support of 561 volunteers (55% more volunteers than in 2016)
- 2,450 native trees planted in the Tetlama community in Morelos.
- Launch of new Ecopia EP422 Plus line that provides carriers with a better performance of up to 32 additional kilometers per tank of gas; and VersaBuilt, Firestone's first complete line of OTR tires
- 1 million-hour without accidents, in reference to production safety and industrial hygiene in Cuernavaca
- 9 to 7 days of reduction in the delivery of products, after a reengineering of internal processes, and the evaluation and development of suppliers in logistics services
- Implementation of 29 road safety activities and more than 8,000 beneficiaries through the Think Before You Drive campaign
Bridgestone Costa Rica:
- 95% recycling record vs 2016, with the reduction of 226 tons of waste material sent to landfill
- 11% decrease in water consumption for every 1000 pounds produced
- Use of clean energy through solar panels and a biomass boiler
- 70 tons of waste tires collected in the first Llantatón program in the country
- 2,140 hours volunteered and 122,720 direct beneficiaries, with the support of 688 volunteers
- 400 waste tires collected and 1,150 trees planted during the clean-up days in the Tárcoles River and Playa Azul beach
- Launch of new Ecopia EP422 Plus line that provides carriers with a better performance of up to 32 additional kilometers per tank of gas
- Opening of 10 new service centers vs 2016, achieving 71 stores in Colombia and Ecuador
- 12% increase of productivity in warehouse operations, with 21% reduction of expenses in logistics and 17% in delivery times
- 36% of the new hires were women, achieving a female staff rate of 41% of the total workforce
- 69% of employees participation in volunteering activities, with 55 hours volunteered
- Launch of new Ecopia EP422 Plus line that provides carriers with a better performance of up to 32 additional kilometers per tank of gas; and the Firestone F-700 that contributes to the reduction of CO2 emissions and optimize fuel consumption
Through its 2017-2018 Sustainability Report, Bridgestone Latin America shares the commitment of the company and its employees to society, taking advantage of innovation and technology to improve the way people move, live, work and play.
For more information about BS-LAN Sustainability Report and the actions in the Latin America North operations, visit http://informebridgestone.com/sostenibilidadBS-LAN/.